Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lake Powell II







     





                         














We returned to Lake Powell again on July 18 with my family or at least part of my family.  My parents, Dayna and kids, Matt and Tess, Sherri and her girls, Amanda, Mason and our family all made the trek.  We had a lot of fun.  My family has been going down at least once a year for over 20 years now so we've gotten pretty good at it.  My family likes to rough it.  We did take down our trailer this year which was nice to wash dishes and keep some items sand free but everyone else stays in tents.  We all throw a tarp out and sleep under the stars which I think has become everyone's favorite part of Lake Powell.  
The kids were so good and had lots of fun digging in the sand and going out for "family swim time" in the deep water.  Allie and Mason both learned to wakeboard and most of the adults got to ski and wakeboard this year.  
Highlights this year were the massive wind storm we slept in the first night,  Matt's belly-button shirt,  the small city of mice we found living in the tube, Tess and her PANTS, Amanda NOT getting sun-stroke (Hooray, for shade and sunscreen - who knew), Luke allowing me to leave him long enough to actually wakeboard, The big bus at Wal-Mart, the fact that being 36 and a father of 4 hasn't made Matt any less insane when skiing, the German McDonalds in Kanab, using a camp chair for the passenger seat of the boat - pretty red-neck, good food as always, and great neighbors.  
If any of you have stayed at Lone Rock Campground, you know the difference neighbors can make.  We camped next to the most awesome people ever this year.  The night we pulled in a group let us pull in the middle of them since they were leaving the next day, it ended up being a family that had moved from Spanish Fork that I had grown up with, the McConnells.  It is crazy how small the world is.  After they left, Dave and Flo moved in with there motor home.  They are the sweetest couple on the planet.  They helped save our camp while we were gone and let us camp right on top of them as well.  They camp there for the rest of the summer before heading to Arizona to stay for the winter.  I hope we didn't drive them to crazy, because they were definitely the highlight of our trip.  All the kids are still talking about them.  Part of me thought they were crazy to live together traveling in their motor home and living on a beach for a quarter of the year, but after staying by them, I'm very envious and hoping maybe one day Mark and I will be lucky enough to do the same thing.  They seemed like the happiest couple on earth.  

2 comments:

Connie said...

I am so jealous. It looks like you guys have so much fun together.

By the way, I love your hair in a pony tail. You looked so pretty on Monday at the party and it was so crazy I forgot to tell you.

Unknown said...

Those are some really cute pics and it sounds like you had a ton of fun. I totally want to be that old couple too someday! KIMMIE